As a new HR Consultant I didn’t turn down any business.
My strategy was to take whatever work came my way and that was exactly what I did.
I thought my new HR Consultant business was doing quite well because I had more work to do than time available to do it.
I soon became a busy fool.
I had no control over my workload. Most of my work as an HR Consultant was reactive – I had no idea which client would want me or when. My workload was subject to major peaks and troughs, my income inconsistent and unprofitable.
My strategy was actually working against me. I realised catering for every kind of client was attracting the wrong kind of client – and actually starting to feel worse than having no clients at all.
I knew things needed to change.
The first thing I needed to do was define the kind of client I actually wanted to work with. I started to build a picture of my ideal client by answering a number of questions including;
- Who are they – name, age, job, demographics etc.
- What are their hobbies/what do they do in their free time?
- What are their goals?
- Who do they want to please?
- Who/what are they responsible for?
- What do they worry about?
Answering these questions helped me visualise my target clients, their needs and motivations. I then had a better idea of where to find them, what to say and how to win their business.
Change didn’t happen overnight. I am happy to report however that I now do work with the kind of clients I want to be working with. And furthermore, although there are still times when I feel my workload is too heavy, the peaks and troughs have levelled out, my income is more consistent and my margins much improved.
Are you working with your ideal client?
We’re helping a small number of HR Consultants identify and win the right kind of clients.
Attend our “Sales & Survey Training” Workshop and we’ll;
• Give you two surveys FREE
• Show you everything you need to know to use surveys to win (and keep) the right clients, do the kind of work you want to do and achieve consistent income.
• Take you through each step of the survey process – from set-up – to interpreting the report data – to client feedback
• Share the sales and marketing strategies we’ve developed and successfully applied for over 7 years.